Monday, October 30, 2017

October finished objects

I've been on a crochet kick lately - I am knitting things, but they're not done yet. So everything I've finished in October is crocheted.

First up is my lovely Sophie's Universe blanket, the second one I've made. The yarn is Scheepjes Softfun - the medium kit in the original pattern. 

It's a beautiful blanket. I finished it toward the beginning of the month and I still haven't blocked it. No matter how much the original author protests, the pattern (as well written as it is) will definitely bulge. It needs a redesign, and I'm sure that would be a pain in the butt and would mess with the existing kits out there. Still, this is my second Sophie's Universe afghan, I'm a veteran crocheter of 25 years, and I did as she suggested with changing needle sizes. Didn't stop the bulge. 

The next few things are all commissions for other people. I am happy to have gotten through them so that I can finally start on stuff for myself this winter!

The first commission was a baby gift for my friend from law school. I was able to use up a bunch of brightly colored scraps, and the balls jingle, too! The gift is for his newborn baby. Hopefully he likes it.

The next commission was for a coworker whose family was dressing up in a Star Wars theme for Halloween. Her husband was Darth Vader, kids were Princess Leia, Chewbacca, and a storm trooper, and my friend wanted to go as Yoda. There are a lot of patterns out there for Yoda hats, many of them very crappy indeed. I found a good one with nice, solid ears (worked in the round so that they are double thick and stiff) so that they stick out appropriately:


The next commission is for some stockings for the two children of one of my oldest friends from grade school. I had made them a "mom" and "dad" set of stockings for their baby shower, and a mini stocking for Jake. Now she has two kids and wanted them to have matching stockings. I got the stocking pattern from Ravelry but I improvised the decorations, including the letters:


I'm pretty happy with how those turned out! I will see her in December; she told me that she has already bought new hangers for them on the fireplace.

The last completed commission this month was for a set of octopi twins for a coworker that's having twins. Someone liked the giraffe I did for another coworker, but I said I'd rather not do any more giraffes just now. I think the octopi turned out super cute!


It was a busy month of commissions, but it feels good to have them done so that I can focus on my own stuff. I have like three shawls to make and I'm super excited about the yarn. Onward and upward!

No comments: